Satisfy your pizza craving sans gluten! Slice up a zucchini or summer squash, add your favorite pizza toppings and enjoy a better-for-you snack that’s filled with nutrients. Customize your creation with different sauces such as basil pesto, caponata or bruschetta topping instead of pizza sauce or sub vegetarian sausage alternative.
Hands-on Time: 10 min. | Total Time: 25 min. | Serves: 2 | Difficulty: Easy
- ¼ lb. Simple Truth™ Italian Sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut on the bias into 8 slices, ¼” thick
- ¼ cup pizza sauce (or Kroger® HemisFares Basil, Red Pesto, Caponata or Private Selection™ Tomato Bruschetta)
- 4 small fresh mozzarella balls, sliced into 4 slices each (or ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Arrange the zucchini slices on the tray.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of sauce on each zucchini slice, and top with sausage crumbles. Top with cheese slices.
- Bake zucchini slices for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm as a snack or light lunch. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 270, Calories from Fat 170, Total Fat 19g (29% DV), Saturated Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 45mg (15% DV), Sodium 890mg (37% DV), Carbohydrates 9g (3% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 4g, Protein 16g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.