Created by: Emily Buys, The Clever Housewife
Friday nights are usually pizza nights at our house. Living in a small town, our options are quite limited, so I've taken to making homemade pizza each week.
With the big game coming up, it's easy to modify our regular pizza recipe to make handheld calzones. Finger foods like calzones are perfect for watching football.
You can buy premade pizza dough, but we like homemade best. My dough recipe makes enough for two large pizzas. When I have all my ingredients ready, I divide my dough in half, then I divide each half into 8 equal portions, yielding 16 smaller calzones – enough for everyone to enjoy. No matter what size crowd you're feeding for the big game, everyone will enjoy your homemade calzones.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp. yeast
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 3 heaping Tbsp. powdered milk
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1½ cups pizza cheese, like mozzarella
- Pepperoni or other pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Mix the yeast and sugar in the warm water and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until you have a nice dough that doesn't stick to the sides of your bowl. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes before making your pizza or calzones.
- Working with two dough portions at a time, roll them out into circles about ¼” thick. Don't worry if you don't get them exactly round. The dough is super forgiving and you'll still end up with a nicely shaped calzone.
- Spread about a tablespoon of pasta sauce on half of each circle, leaving at least ½” clear at the edges for sealing.
- Add your pepperoni, pizza cheese and toppings.
- Wet your finger in a small bowl of water and run it along half the dough circle. Fold the dough over and press the edges together. I like to use a fork to help seal the edges and to poke a few holes in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Place the calzones on a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan and bake for about 10 minutes. I like using my pizza peel and pizza stone. Remove the calzones from oven and enjoy.