Created by: Produce for Better Health Foundation
Your eyes aren’t deceiving you: you are seeing the words “healthy” and “creamy Mexican” in the same recipe title! That’s because strained low-fat plain yogurt gives this dip its decadent thickness, rather than cheese or sour cream. Kroger Staff Dietitian Allison Kuhn points out that not only is this recipe delicious and low-fat, but it’s also rich in vitamins A and C, as well as calcium, potassium and fiber.
- 3 cups low-fat plain yogurt, drained in a cheesecloth-lined sieve for 3 hours
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tsp. cumin (ground)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Black pepper, optional
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- 6 cups assorted snacking vegetables such as: baby carrots, cauliflower or broccoli florets, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini sticks
Put salt and pepper aside. Combine the drained yogurt with all other remaining ingredients for dip. Allow to chill, covered, for 15 minutes or more. Before serving, salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cilantro.