Try this delicious treat with the sweetness and tart of cherry for breakfast, dessert or anytime you’d like!
- ½ package frozen puff pastry, (1 sheet), thawed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2½ cups cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. water
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp.butter, softened
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1½ Tbsp. milk
- ½ cup almonds, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. On a flour covered surface, roll out pastry into a 15”x12” rectangle. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add cherries and gently combine.
- Add coated cherries to half of the pastry rectangle, leaving a 1” border of pastry uncovered. Beat egg and add water. Brush uncovered pastry edges with egg wash.
- Fold the uncovered half of pastry mixture. Using a fork, press together edges of pastry until sealed. Cut slits across the top of pastry. Brush top with egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes; until pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, almond extract and milk to make icing. Drizzle on top of pastry. Sprinkle sliced almonds over top.